Thursday, July 09, 2009

Psalm 8 - "A David Psalm" becomes "A Sutter Psalm"

God, brilliant Lord,
Yours is our household Name.

Daniel gurgles choruses about You;
Tessa shouts the songs - in SuperTarget's parking lot -
That drown out enemy talk,
And silence atheist babble.

After finally tucking the kids into bed, i step outside on the deck...
I look up at Your macro-skies, dark and enormous - larger than any issue in my day -
Your handmade sky-jewelry - more beautiful than those trendy earrings in the store -
Moon and stars mounted in their settings.
Then I look at my micro-self and wonder,
Why do You bother with us - i've failed You so many times today -
Why take a second look our way? - thank You for Your grace and mercy -

Yet we've so narrowly missed being gods - i feel sorta wide right now -
Bright with Eden's dawn light - dawn comes so early when a child wakes you up every hour -
You put us in charge of Your handcrafted world,
Repeated to us Your Genesis-charge - thanks for holding back the rain so i could fertilize the yard -
Made us lords of sheep and cattle - we'll practice on our 2 kitties we hope to get soon
Even animals out in the wild,
Birds flying and fish swimming,
Whales singing in the ocean deeps - we can sing while playing in our whale kiddie pool -

God, brilliant Lord,
Your Name echoes around the world - let It echo in our home, too!

2 comments:

Arlene said...

I will remember your comment about God's sky being bigger than any issue in your day...and my day. You know how I ooh and aah at the night sky ... the stars and planets, the moon (especially a full moon), seeing the space lab travel across the night sky. And every time I see this facet of God's creation, I am in awe of the One who created it all. Maybe that is why God put the sky above ... as we look UP, we remember Him and our lives and issues are put in their proper perspective.

Pastor Susan David said...

Great Psalm Heather. I love how you put your family right in the middle of it. I believe David was just like us in so many ways. He had his battles like we do and his frustrations - but God was his focus!