Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A Nimrod Kind of Year

Very recently, the words of a great sermon struck my ears, one of the points being that the majority of those who choose to follow Jesus will not be called to a life of full-time ministry, but to a life of working in their profession while simultaneously serving and loving people day-by-day, minute-by-minute.

My current profession races minute-by-minute on the still-pudgy toddler heels of a truck-loving little boy and the prancing "look-at-me-Momma" feet of a preschool girl.

There are days that slip in and sometimes get stuck on the Peanut Buttery Days of raising young children (the days that are packed with the protein of life but that if come at you all at once, leave your tongue stuck to the roof of your mouth, preventing you from uttering anything coherent!).  

In such a state of incoherency, it's easy to get stuck into a wrong line of thinking that my profession doesn't really impact the Kingdom of God, doesn't really make a mark on eternity.

But then the peanut butter is wiped away, and i remember that my profession has the enormous potential to make a phenomenal impact for eternity, and that i had better stick to THAT and make the most of every short, fleeting day that i have with these children God has placed in our home!

So, with last Sunday's sermon in mind and today's Bible reading in hand (www.lincolncitychurchwomen.blogspot.com), i received my challenge for this new year.  Well, it's good for every year, but it seems to be especially vibrant right now.

From Genesis 10:8   ... Nimrod... was a great hunter before God.  There was a saying, 'Like Nimrod, a great hunter before God.'

I don't know how the saying, "What a nimrod" came to be so derogatory because obviously the original Nimrod was incredibly talented; but if i can be called by my children and husband this year as a wife like Nimrod, then count me in.

Not that i want to be a great hunter --- although there ARE days when perhaps some of his tactics might come in handy with MY troops!

But the fact that challenged me today was that he was proven and great in his profession AND that he did it before God.

Nimrod wasn't known as a great minister or preacher or prophet, but he was known --- KNOWN, as in, thru the ages and worthy enough to be mentioned in the Bible -- known as a great hunter before God.

Which leads me to believe he was in communion, in fellowship with God.  All the time.  Spear in hand, bow in hand, dead bear or lion in hand.

He was great at what he did for his profession -- and i have to believe it was because he did it before God.  With God.

Lord, that's what i want this year.  I want to be known by my husband and children as a great mom/wife before God.  But i can't do it without You.  So I'm asking for Your help this year and every year to come.

Make me a Nimrod of Moms, of Wives.

For Your glory and so that this family might make an impact for eternity.  Let me not waste the time or skills or energy You stand ready to pour into my life, nor waste the lives You've put in my temporary charge.

Thank You for a New Year!  It's Yours!  Be glorified!

0 comments: