Tuesday, September 23, 2008

As part of the www.lincolncitychurchwomen.blogspot.com read-through-the-Bible-this-year plan, today i read Malachi and was impressed upon by some principles relating to marriage that God spoke to His prophet Malachi for His people - and for me today!

From the Message Bible, scattered throughout Malachi 2:13-16 ---

-- "His Spirit inhabits even the smallest details of marriage."
This morning while doing my mad dash version of making the bed, i stumbled upon one of my sweet husband's size 10 1/2, thick-soled dress shoes. God has been teaching me throughout the 7 years we've been married that how i respond to something, what attitude i decide to take up or throw down EVEN in the privacy of my own space and thoughts, has the power to either sweeten or sour my relationship with my husband. So instead of taking up a sour attidue and moping along with my tingling toe, i decided to pick up the shoes and put them in the closet. God reminded me that when my husband wearily dropped those shoes from his feet to a place beside the bed, he was worn out - perhaps more than in body - from the overtime put in for his company, from the commitments fulfilled in helping others, from the care given to me, our toddler and unborn baby. And i should be ever so grateful to have a husband so dedicated and loving as he is. And i am.

-- "And what does He want from marriage? Children of God, that's what."
The first thing that popped into my mind was natural children - perhaps because there's one growing in my abdomen right now, pressing on my bladder and therefore my mind - children who are raised to serve God. But then through the pregnancy clouds that seem to derail my coherent train of thought, came the realization that a husband and wife should be a source of growth and encouragement to each other THROUGH their marriage relationship to become strong, mature children of God.

And finally...

-- "So guard the spirit of marriage within you."
The concept of guarding something sounds like "work" to me, which can sometimes be so quickly tossed aside once the marriage train passes the honeymoon, star-struck stage and slows down into Reality City Depot. I love my husband dearly but i know that our marriage isn't based on feeling love; this was a good reminder to me to keep working on building our marriage every day - not being perfect, but working to protect it! The spirit of marriage seems to me to be something that is breathed into a marriage and its partners by the very Spirit of God. And i need to guard that like i guard everything else God-breathed in my life.

8 comments:

sarah said...

Great reminder, Heather! I will remember to come back and read that one day when I really need it. I'll know when that day is. =) And I love your pictures. They are the cutest!

Walking on High Hills said...

Hola Amiga,

Just letting you know I'm alive and functioning! Thanks for keeping in touch! take care of those babies for me.

Walking on High Hills said...

Hello dear friend, haven't been around much, but now I am back ...take care! sending my love to you all!

Walking on High Hills said...

I understand about living close... Jorge just drove in traffic for an hour + yesterday for the first time. It's only 30 miles away from the house, but for some reason everyone wants to leave for work at the exact same time in this big city.?! =). I'm so happy about your home, THat is SOOO COOL!

I'll post photos as soon as I can get batteries in my camera! Argh.

If it isn't one thing it's another.

PTL for Dustin's new job!

Walking on High Hills said...

Hey Heather! I was thinking about you and your move.. how's it going?Are you lovin it?

Blessings!

Walking on High Hills said...

Me again... i need an email address for you.

Can you happen to email me and that'll be good

Heather said...

Hi Tabitha!

Not sure how else to reach you ... in case my email doesn't go thru and you check this blog first ... (i can't see yours right now for some reason) ... my email address is hunnypot1975@aol.com

Hope you are all doing well! Surviving the ice & cold?

Walking on High Hills said...

Hello there and congratulations on a beautiful baby boy!!! My blog is open now, i made it private for a little while but I reopened it.

Anyway, I'd love to see your babies. My kids would too. Be blessed in this season! Hugs from us all and tell "Dad" hola from my hubby too!